Happy Earth Day!
As a fair trade company, Fair Anita is committed to respecting the environment. This is one of ten fair trade principles that we practice, both with our operations around the world and here in the U.S.
One of our favorite environmentally-friendly products is our line of recycled bullet casing jewelry from our Ethiopia Collection. Bullet casings are collected from the trash and around the streets-- unfortunately, the streets are littered with these shell casings since the Ethiopian-Eritrean war. Our artisan partners melt down the bullet casings and turn them into simple and unique beads. They create gorgeous necklaces, bracelets, and earrings that are both eco-friendly and an incredible story of renewed life.
If you’ve bought from us before, you know that you’ll receive your product in a small muslin cotton pouch. We’re working towards sustainability through our product packaging, as well. This pouch has more potential for a continued life than plastic packaging would. Here are few ideas to get you started on how you can re-use your Fair Anita pouches:
1. Coat your muslin bags with a natural beeswax to make a reusable, food-safe pouch! Pack up your baby carrots or apple slices, then rinse in cool, soapy water when you're done.
2. It's tea time! One of our customers uses her old Fair Anita product pouches as reusable tea bags. She says it works like a charm!
3. Keep items together during travel or around the house. Organization is easy as pie :)
4. Store small items like bobby pins or cotton swabs. Are you like me and find bobby pins all over the house? This is a great fix!
5. Use it as a jewelry pouch for traveling. Okay, this one might be obvious, but there are few things worse than a tangled ball of necklaces and earrings when you're on the road!
What other ideas do you have for how you can re-use your Fair Anita bags? We want to hear them!
Looking for other things you can do to make an impact on the environment? Check out our blog post on 8 Ways to Reduce Your Carbon Footprint.